Did you know April is Frog Month? Frogs can get a pretty bad rap from humans, but we think they’re fantastic.
To celebrate Frog Month, here are our five favourite frog facts:
- Frogs don’t need to drink. They can absorb water right through their skin. If a human could do this, we’d give them a superhero cape and call them whenever the city needed saving.
- A frog can literally push its whole stomach right out of its mouth. They do this sometimes when they’ve eaten something nasty and need to vomit. Know who else vomits by spitting out their entire stomach? Sharks.
- A group of frogs is called an army. Other animals hang out in schools or herds. But frogs? Frogs hang out in armies. Watch out, world.
- Heget, the ancient Egyptian goddess of fertility and life, was a frog. Ancient Egypt didn’t get a lot of rain, so they relied on the annual flooding of the Nile River to water their crops. And when it flooded, frogs would appear! But here’s the ultimate question: did the floods bring the frogs, or did the frogs bring the floods? Hmm…
- All frogs are secretly princes. Source: every fairytale ever.*
What do you think, reader? Are you a frog fan? Let us know in the comments!
*This last fact may not be true. But we can always pretend it is!