Hello and welcome to the first ever OWL editor blog. When we decided to launch this I had no idea what I was going to talk about. My life? Your lives? Our lives? So I came up with 10 reasons for writing the blog in the first place. Ready? Here we go!
10) It’s fun! Besides, being the OWL editor takes time — just not as much as you’d think.
9) I needed something to do while waiting for the March Madness basketball tournament to start. (Go Tar Heels!)
8) I like receiving and answering mail. Email me with a question and I’ll try to answer it in an upcoming blog. (Sample question: “Hey, Craig. Why are you writing a blog?”)
7) I needed a place to talk about funny stuff that happens around the office. For instance, every time we put an issue together, Susan (OWL’s amazing art director) tries to put my head on a female body on the Contents page. One time, she even succeeded. Next to my letter in the January/February 2007 issue, my picture sits atop the body of a female robot. It’s pretty hilarious. That is, for everyone but me!
6) I needed another place to talk about basketball.
5) I like reviewing things. We rarely have enough space to review everything in “What’s Hot and What’s Not.” My favourite underrated movie of 2007? Stardust. Check it out on DVD if you get the chance. It’s a must for fantasy fans.
4) I really, really like basketball.
3) I wanted you guys to have more stuff to check out on our website. While we’re here, what kind of stuff do you want to see on the OWL site? Drop me a line with your ideas.
2) I like gloating to the other editors of OWL. Ha, Jackie! Take that, Mandy! I got a blog and you don’t. (Just kidding. In fact, you’ll be seeing some other OWL staffers on here from time to time. It’s not just The Craig Show, you know.)
1) I needed an excuse to write more Top 10 lists. Next week, Top 10 pieces of farming equipment!