Have you been watching the summer Olympics? Canadian kayaking and canoeing pals Adam van Koeverden and Mark Oldershaw both won medals this week!
They’ve been friends since they were kids and they both love the outdoors.
Photo: canoephotography.com/Balint Vekassy (ICF)
If you want to get outside and ride the waves like Adam and Mark, canoes and kayaks are a great way to do so. Here are some fun facts about kayaks and canoes that can get you started!
Canoe Fun Facts
- Canoes are easy to get into and out of because they are wide and stable.
- It’s pretty hard to tip a canoe. Just don’t hold on to the side of the boat!
- You can canoe in almost any kind of water.
- Canoes are easy to steer and have lots of room inside to store your stuff.
Kayak Fun Facts
- Kayaks paddle lower to the water and can go faster than canoes.
- You can kayak on your own or with a buddy.
- Some people use a spray-skirt in kayaks to stay warm and dry.
- Kayaks use a double-ended paddle to help you control the boat.
Be sure to take an adult and some life jackets along with you on your next water adventure!