Did you do the coral reef puzzles in the March issue of Chirp Magazine? Here are some facts about coral!
What is Coral?
Although they look like plants, corals are actually made of of tiny animals called polyps! Corals live in colonies along the ocean floor.
Cool Coral Facts:
- There is soft coral and hard coral. Soft coral have stinging tentacles that they can use to catch food, like tiny fish.
- Most coral lives in shallow waters because the algae that live on and around it need sunlight to live.
- Coral comes in many different colours and shapes.
- Coral reefs are places where many corals live. The biggest coral reef in the world is the Great Barrier Reef off the coast of Australia.
- Healthy coral reefs are home to all sorts of marine life including seahorses, turtles, stingrays, octopuses, and tons and tons of fish.
- Swimmers and divers can explore coral reefs. Check out what these lucky kids saw when they went swimming at the Great Barrier Reef: