Family Fun Time
With busy work and school lives it can sometimes be tricky to fit in family fun time. Here are some tips to get that time where and when you can!
- Make up family motto or song. It can be something that represents your core values, like “Always growing, always learning” or something silly like, “The Johnsons. 50% class, 50% sass.”
- Pick a few hours a week to do household chores together. Cleaning with kids is way more fun if you can encourage a bit of play as you go – broom dancing, anyone?
- When possible, attend special events like school performances, work events, or sports competitions to cheer on that family member.
- Make rainy days special. They are a chance to take advantage of being all together under one roof. Build forts, tell stories, play charades …
- Ask questions around the dinner table. Write down questions in advance and put them in a jar. Questions like “If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be?” or “What colour of the rainbow do you feel like today and why?” can spark great conversations!
- Have fun with science! Make predictions beforehand and then discuss the results afterward. Get started with this simple magnet experiment.
- Start a weekly or monthly tradition that takes priority over other events: family games day, movie and pizza night, museum day, bike ride, etc…
- Make a meal together. Plan it, shop for it, prepare it, and eat it together.
- Vote on a book that everyone wants to read. Then take turns reading chapters out loud to each other.
- Volunteer or raise money for a cause together. Research some local organizations and pick something that feels meaningful to you.
Does your family do something special to connect? We’d love to hear about it! Comment below.
See you next month!
- Jackie and the Owlkids Team