Hi Owlkids Family,
April is Earth Month, which makes it the perfect time to have family conversations about why it is important to protect our planet. Teaching children that even small efforts can make a big difference is a great way to motivate change.
Try one of these fun activities to get the discussion started!
- Plant a garden on your windowsill, balcony, or in your backyard.
- Go on a nature walk and notice what you see, hear, and smell. Record your findings in a nature journal.
- Measure the wind with a D.I.Y. wind vane and then use this as a launching point to talk about wind and other alternative energy sources.
- Learn about whether or not animals can come back from extinction with a General Knowledge video.
- Make up a silly song and dance using the words REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE.
- Recycle an old button-down shirtinto a pillowcase.
- Organize a park or shore cleanup with your neighbours.
- Read a book about why nature is important and about all the ways that nature helps us feel good.
- Take a virtual field trip to a coral reef or rainforest and learn about conservation.
- Make a family pledge to protect the environment. Start with small actions like turning off the tap when brushing your teeth, turning off lights when you leave a room, and recycling toilet paper rolls. Let your pledge grow as you take on more Earth-saving challenges!
Happy Earth Month, everyone! See you outside!