Today is International Cat Day! This day was created to celebrate the friendship we share with cats and to raise awareness for our feline friends. It’s the perfect day to learn about ways to help and protect them.
Here are some fun facts about cats to get your day started:
- Cats are one of the most popular pet in the world.
- Cats have whiskers on the back of their front legs.
- Cats save energy by sleeping for 13 to 14 hours a day.
- Cats are the only mammals that can’t taste sweetness.
- Cats have powerful night vision, excellent hearing and an amazing sense of smell.
- A group of cats is called a clowder, a male cat is called a tom, a female cat is called a molly and young cats are called kittens.
Trying to find ways to celebrate? How about these ideas:
- Dress the part! Whether you’re spending International Cat Day at school or at home, show your love by wearing a pair of cat ears.
- Take a catnap! Cats are experts in napping so take a page from their book and have a great nap.
- Share a catty selfie! Let the whole world know how you feel by snapping a selfie with your cat and posting it on social media.
Do you have a cat of your own? Tell us their name in the comments below!
Happy International Cat Day!