Meet Kiron Mukherjee—the guy who makes everyone excited about science!
Kiron is the Assistant Coordinator of ROMKids at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. He manages and organizes camps and activities for children. He also helps create programs that get kids excited about dinosaurs, space, rocks, you name it—anything related to science. Kiron is a great example of a person who took a passion he loved as a kid and turned it into a full-time job when he grew up!
Recently I had the chance to hang out at the ROM and chat with Kiron. His enthusiasm is infectious, and he certainly got me excited about the ROM and science. Here are my favourite Kiron quotes from our conversation.
1. “When I was 8, I got my first membership to the ROM. Coming from a single-parent household and not a lot of money, this membership meant the world to me. I used to spend my Saturday mornings hanging out at the ROM checking out fossils and learning about dinosaurs!”
2. “Growing up, one of my favourite times of the year was when the ROM summer club brochure went home. My mom and I would sit on the couch and pick out camps for the summer. I loved talking through the choices together. It taught me that it’s critical for parents to play an upfront role in what their kids are learning about.”
3. “I started volunteering at the ROM when I was 14 and got my first job there when I was 15. I’ve been there ever since!”
4. “I love for kids to get the opportunity to interact with scientists and teachers so they can learn firsthand what it’s like to study such cool things. It’s important for people to know that behind the scenes at the museum, people are working on a lot of science and research.”
5. “There is a piece of Mars here [at the ROM]! When I get the opportunity to put a piece of Mars in a kid’s hand, that’s a one-of-a-kind experience.”
If you ever have a chance to meet Kiron, don’t worry about having nothing to talk about. Dinosaurs will keep the conversation going for hours!
Thank you, Kiron, for getting us all excited about science!
Got a comment or question for Kiron, post it below.