My 5 Favourite Quotes from Kiron
Meet Kiron Mukherjee—the guy who makes everyone excited about science!
Kiron is the Assistant Coordinator of ROMKids at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. He manages and organizes camps and activities for children. He also helps create programs that get kids excited about dinosaurs, space, rocks, you name it—anything related to science. Kiron is a great example of a person who took a passion he loved as a kid and turned it into a full-time job when he grew up!
Recently I had the chance to hang out at the ROM and chat with Kiron. His enthusiasm is infectious, and he certainly got me excited about the ROM and science. Here are my favourite Kiron quotes from our conversation.
1. “When I was 8, I got my first membership to the ROM. Coming from a single-parent household and not a lot of money, this membership meant the world to me. I used to spend my Saturday mornings hanging out at the ROM checking out fossils and learning about dinosaurs!”
2. “Growing up, one of my favourite times of the year was when the ROM summer club brochure went home. My mom and I would sit on the couch and pick out camps for the summer. I loved talking through the choices together. It taught me that it’s critical for parents to play an upfront role in what their kids are learning about.”
3. “I started volunteering at the ROM when I was 14 and got my first job there when I was 15. I’ve been there ever since!”
4. “I love for kids to get the opportunity to interact with scientists and teachers so they can learn firsthand what it’s like to study such cool things. It’s important for people to know that behind the scenes at the museum, people are working on a lot of science and research.”
5. “There is a piece of Mars here [at the ROM]! When I get the opportunity to put a piece of Mars in a kid’s hand, that’s a one-of-a-kind experience.”
If you ever have a chance to meet Kiron, don’t worry about having nothing to talk about. Dinosaurs will keep the conversation going for hours!
Thank you, Kiron, for getting us all excited about science!
Got a comment or question for Kiron, post it below.
It has been awhile since I last visited the ROM. This blog has inspired me to plan another trip there.
That’s great to hear, Steve. Maybe you can see Kiron there!
That’s great to hear! Make sure to check out our brand new dinosaur: https://www.rom.on.ca/en/exhibitions-galleries/exhibitions/dino-hunt
One of the gallery leads also teaches at camp with us, so it’s very family friendly!
Dino unearthed is open! Yay!
What’s your favourite part of the museum?
My guess is that Kiron will say the dinsosaur section!
The ROM is such an amazing place to work and grow up in. I LOVE the Dinosaur Gallery- we just put out a brand new ceratopsian this past weekend. The Ice Age Mammal Gallery is wonderful as well, and it contains many fascinating specimens that often go unnoticed like mammoth hair and giant ground sloth ***! I also love the Earth Sciences Gallery which features rocks from Mars. Finally I like to wander our European Galleries, which are quiet, and a nice place to think, work and read.
Overall, the Museum’s so HUGE that it takes days to get through it all, and often by the time you get back, there’s something new on display. Hope you make it out soon!
Neat! I went to the ROM museum on a field trip last year in grade 4. It was fun!!!
Kiron, now you got me all excited for Science! Thank you! You must be very passionate about Science! Say, what is your favorite place to hang out at the ROM?
I love the Dinosaur Gallery. The palaeontology department here does a great job of updating the space based on their latest work. For example they’re completing the study of a brand new horned dinosaur, of which they’ve just put on display!
After that, I like to take strolls through the exhibits- there’s always something new to see! Recently I’ve been spending much time in our Middle Eastern Gallery which has tons of fascinating and rather old artifacts, dating back tens of thousands of years!
Hope to see you out at the Museum!
Thanks for finally talking about >Owlkids | My
5 Favourite Quotes from Kiron – Owlkids <Liked it!