In the October issue of Chickadee, Dr. Zed shows you how to turn your jack-o’-lantern into a Halloween experiment!
All you need are some simple ingredients from around the house!
- medium-sized pumplin
- pumpkin-carving tools
- tall drinking glass
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) baking soda
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) dish soap
- green food colouring
- 250 mL (1 cup) vinegar
- large plate or tray
What to do:
- With a grown-up’s help, carve your pumpkin into a jack-o’-lantern. TIP: Make sure the mouth is low on the pumpkin.
- Place your jack-o’-lantern on a plate or tray.
- Put a tall drinking glass inside the jack-o’-lantern.
- Add baking soda, dish soap, and a few drops of food colouring to the glass.
- Pour the vinegar into the glass. What happens?
If you try this fun experiment, let me know how it went in the comments below! And don’t forget you can find lots more science and Halloween fun in this month’s issue.
Have a great day,