This month’s issue of Chirp is all about The Moon! The surface of the Moon is covered in soil that is similar to dust or sand grains. Not many people get to visit the Moon but you can make your own moon sand and pretend you’re an astronaut exploring the Moon’s surface!
MOON SAND RECIPE
- 1 cup oil (baby oil works well)
- food colouring (optional)
- 8 cups flour
- tray or bin
- If using food colouring, stir it into the oil.
- Add the oil to the flour and mix really well.
- Pour the sand into a try or bin and get ready to play! It’s fun to mush the sand in your hands, dig around with small tools, or play in with diggers and dumpers. Have fun!
TIP: Moon sand can be a bit messy so play with it outdoors or be sure to put newspaper down to catch any sand that escapes the bin.