Today we caught up with the talented Geraldo Valério. He is an author, illustrator and the creator of “Art on the Fly,” a colourful story that appeared in the March issue of Chirp! We asked Geraldo to finish some fun sentences for us. Here are his answers.
1. When I was a kid, my favorite thing to draw was locomotives. My father worked for the railroad company. I was always amazed by those huge and noisy machines. I used to make simple drawings of locomotives with rectangles, triangles, squares and circles. That’s how I learned about shapes.
2. My hidden talent is baking. I love making all kinds of cakes—chocolate, lemon and coconut. Baking any kind of cake brings me great joy. The best part is eating them. I could eat cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
3. My favorite way to eat eggs is scrambled with peppers and herbs from my garden. Sprinkling some cheese on top doesn’t hurt.
4. A perfect day is spent in my studio creating my books. I really enjoy every part of making a book—from the first drafts and sketches to the final art. Best of all, I like sitting at my desk cutting paper, arranging coloured shapes and making collages.
5. The best way to end my day is going to a yoga class to move and stretch my body and calm my mind. After I have my dinner, I relax on the sofa reading a book or magazine until sleep comes.
6. My favorite books are all kinds of art books, history and nature books and novels and memoirs. I am very passionate about picture books.
7. My heroes are my friends. We have been together for so long through many moments of happiness and sadness. I’m never alone because I have great friends.
8. What I love most about being an artist is telling stories with beautiful and engaging images.
9. My advice for young artists is to get to know what really excites and motivates you to be creative. Find time in your day to work on your ideas and work every day of the week. Soon, you will realize this is the best time of your day. I love working!
Thanks so much, Geraldo!
Readers, if this interview has you feeling inspired, send us photos of your artwork for a chance to be featured on the Chirp blog! You can send the images to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great day!