The Olympics have started in Tokyo, Japan this year. Here are some facts for you!
- The Olympics were started in Ancient Greece.
- The five Olympic Rings represent the five continents that participate in the games. The five colours (blue, yellow, black, green, and red) were chosen because all the national flags of every country have at least one of those colours.
- The Olympic Flame is always lit at the Temple of Hera in Olympia, Greece. Olympic torches can only be lit with fire that came from the official Olympic Flame.
- The tradition of awarding gold, silver, and bronze medals was introduced in 1904. During the ancient Olympics, victors were awarded an olive branch.
- This year’s Olympics have four brand new sports: karate, sport climbing, surfing, and skateboarding.
So cool! Thanks for sharing Sarah!
Will you be watching this year and what are you most looking forward to? Let us know in the comments below!