Building a School: One Brick at a Time
Did you know that 2014 is the Year of Education? Over fifty-seven million children (more than the entire population of Canada!) are denied access to education, and Free the Children is focusing its efforts on bringing education’s empowering effects to the poorest communities around the world.
But you can’t have education without a school, right? Free the Children’s Brick by Brick campaign builds schoolhouses around the world, one brick at a time. You can go to this Brick by Brick link and find five great ideas for your own school (or family, or Scout troop, or soccer team!) to fundraise towards building a school where it’s needed most.
I was inspired by a photo of three students raising money for Brick by Brick at a bake sale – another great way to fundraise. If you’d like to hold a bake sale for your school and community, here is a delicious, healthy recipe that you could try from our November 2010 issue. Remember, always ask an adult to help you with the oven.
- 2 mashed bananas
- 625 mL (1/4 cup) applesauce
- 2.5 mL (1/2 tsp.) vanilla
- 1.25 mL (1/4 tsp.) cinnamon
- 1.25 mL (1/4 tsp.) nutmeg
- 85 mL (1/3 cup) raisins
- 500 mL (2 cups) quick oats
- Preheat oven to 175˚C (350˚F). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
- Roll the dough into small balls and drop on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool.
How would you plan to fundraise for a charity? What’s your go-to bake sale recipe?
Thanks for reading, and happy “building”!
Until next time,