Check out these fun facts Sarah has to share with you for World Asteroid Day!
- A piece of an asteroid the size of a car, called a meteoroid, falls into the Earth’s atmosphere once every year. This creates a bright fireball effect, but it usually burns up in the atmosphere before it reaches the ground
- An asteroid is a small body orbiting the sun that is made of rock or metal
- There are currently over 800,000 known asteroids in our solar system
- While some asteroids are hundreds of kilometers large, others are as small as pebbles. In fact, most asteroids are very very small
- Asteroids aren’t all round like planets. They come in all kinds of shapes.
Do you know any fun facts about asteroids you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments down below!